Carbacid (CO2) Limited is East Africa's leading producer of natural, food grade, compressed carbon dioxide. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of public limited company Carbacid Investments Limited, which is listed on Nairobi Stock Exchange.
Products & Services
Food Grade CO2
Available from 1 kg up to 30 kg cylinders.
Bulk quantities delivered in specialised tankers from 1,000 kg up to 25,000 kg per delivery.
Carbacid produces natural, certified food grade (99.99% purity) carbon dioxide for the beverage and brewery industries, where it is used to carbonate water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages.
The carbon dioxide is extracted from natural underground reservoirs and purified on site.
Our CO2 is Halal certified.
Available in 45kg, 30kg, 25kg, 22.5kg, 10kg and 1kg cylinders.
Carbacid supplies compressed carbon dioxide for industrial uses including MIG welding and fire extinguisher applications.
The primary purpose of shielding gas is to prevent exposure of the molten weld pool to oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen contained in the air atmosphere. The reaction of these elements with the weld pool can create a variety of problems, including porosity (holes within the weld bead) and excessive spatter. CO2 is ideal in this situation because:
- MIG (GMAW) welding with CO2 shielding gas and a solid wire electrode produces a clean, slag-free weld without the need to continually stop welding to replace the electrode, as in Stick welding.
- CO2 is the most common of the reactive gases used in MIG welding and the only one that can be used in its pure form without the addition of an inert gas.
- CO2 provides better cost-benefit value of the common shielding gases, making an attractive choice when material costs are the main priority.
- Pure CO2 provides very deep weld penetration, which is useful for welding thick material.
Medical CO2 is supplied in specially colour-coded 30kg cylinders.
Medical grade CO2 follows a strict production, storage and filling protocol, and is 99.99% pure.
It is utilized in critical care areas of hospitals including:
- Inflation gas for minimal invasive surgery (laparoscopy, endoscopy, arthroscopy) to enlarge and stabilize body cavities for better visibility of the surgical field
- To increase the depth of respiration and help overcome breath holding and bronchial spasms during various procedures
- To stimulate respiration for various reasons (i.e. chronic respiratory obstruction removal, hyperventilation)
- To increase cerebral blood flow during some surgeries
- For clinical and physiological investigations
- For Cryotherapy to treat a variety of benign and malignant tissue damage, medically called lesions.
Dry ice is available in 3mm and 16mm pellets.
Dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) is an excellent refrigerant, with a very high cooling effect for a given weight or volume. Unlike regular ice, dry ice pellets do not adhere to each other, remaining perfectly free flowing during storage. It is also much colder than regular ice (carbon dioxide freezes at -78.). Use it:
- As a supplement in shipper boxes travelling long distances
- For delivering perishable goods and storing produce in markets
- For keeping drinks cold at parties
- To keep fridges and cold rooms cold during power cuts
The quantity of dry ice that you will need depends on factors such as the distance to be travelled, time in transit, climatic conditions and the packaging materials used.
Carbacid produces dry ice using a closed line system, ensuring it retains food grade (99.99%) purity. It is packaged in strong heat-sealed polythene bags using state-of-the-art equipment to ensure the highest standards of hygiene. Insulated styrofoam boxes are also available for dry ice storage.
CO2 for Soda Makers
CO2 for soda cylinders is available at KSh 750 + VAT per 400g cylinder.
Food grade liquid CO2 for soda makers (e.g. SodaStream) available at Carbacid. Our CO2 is sourced from natural wells found along the Great Rift Valley.
Send your soda cylinder to our depot on Factory Street, Industrial Area and we will clean, inspect and refill your soda cylinder as you wait.
Cylinder Testing & Validation
Carbacid runs a state-of-the art cylinder maintenance and validation facility. Industrial compressed gas cylinders and fire extinguishers are tested and revalidated according to local and international regulatory requirements. Services include:
- Hydrostatic testing up to 10,000 psig for high pressure cylinders and carbon dioxide fire extinguishers
- Proof test to 900 psig for low pressure cylinders and fire extinguishers
- Internal cleaning and drying of cylinders
- External dry ice blasting and painting
All above services are carried out under the supervision of a DOHS approved licensed inspector.
Carbacid's distribution network extends across the whole of East Africa, serving customers in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Uganda, Zambia, Southern Sudan and Somaliland.
The company is FSSC 22000:2010 and all its products receive annual KEBS certification.